Buying a home can be a thrilling, but daunting experience. Finding the right location to start looking for your dream house can be difficult but it’s important to think about whether you’d like an urban or rural setting, and factors such as the proximity of good schools (if you have or are planning to have children), shops, and commuting links.
With mortgage rates the highest they’ve been in 14 years according to BBC news, first time buyers are having to work harder than ever to get on the ladder. But, while some places in the UK have seen rises in house prices, it’s still possible to get a bargain. These are the ten most affordable places to buy a house right now according to average property price.
The cheapest places to buy a house in 2022
1. Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire £54, 978: Found on the south bank of the River Tees, Middlesbrough is close to the coast.
2. Bradford, West Yorkshire £58, 673: Bradford is a bustling city in the foothills of the Pennine Hills, with lots of easy rail links to centres such as Leeds and Manchester.
3. Sunderland, Tyne and Wear £65, 478: Home to a thriving city centre, Sunderland can be an affordable housing option.
4. Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire £71, 105: Grimsby is a historical port town on the Humber. It’s home to some great shopping and a bustling seafood industry.
5. Shildon, County Durham £73, 637: Perfect for those looking for the quiet life, Shildon is found between Durham and Darlington. It’s home to a Locomotion Museum and was the first railway station in the UK, built in 1825.
6. Peterlee, County Durham £85, 274: Peterlee was built after the Second World War. It offers easy access to countryside and cities, including Durham and Sunderland.
7. Stanley, County Durham £91, 391: The third town in County Durham to appear in this list, Stanley is a former colliery town. It’s not far from Durham and offers affordable options for families and couples.
8. Lancashire, North West England £91, 516: House prices in Lancashire, especially Blackburn, are significantly lower than those elsewhere. With access to natural beauty spots such as the Lake District, Lancashire is a great choice when you’re looking for a house.
9. Liverpool, Merseyside £91, 713: Birthplace of The Beatles, Liverpool is well known as a cultural hotspot. Property can be competitive in the city, but there are several postcodes which offer affordable options.
10. Keighley, West Yorkshire £91, 833: Found very close to Bradford, Keighley is surrounded by picturesque countryside. It has good rail links and offers very affordable house prices.
Moving to a new area
If you’re planning to buy a house in a new area, especially a big city such as Liverpool or London, choosing local services to help you move is a wise way to negotiate the local market. The top estate agents and best conveyancing solicitors London, for example, will be able to make the house buying process smoother. Go for firms working in the particular neighbourhood, such as Sam Conveyancing who can provide a range of services in multiple locations..
So whether you fancy moving to Liverpool or Grimsby, there are affordable options to get on the property ladder.