One of the most typical activities in autumn is going out to look for mushrooms. But enjoying this delicious and nutritious ingredient is no longer exclusive to this time of year: thanks to cultivation it is possible to prepare a plate of breaded mushrooms whenever you feel like it.
If you haven’t tried it yet, we encourage you to go in search of some good specimens and get down to work. Following the steps that we indicate you get some crunchy and honeyed mushrooms to lick your fingers.
A recipe with mushrooms easy and quick to prepare
Mushrooms are the food of plant origin that is often related to the group of greens and vegetables. But in reality, they are not true plants, but rather belong to the biological group of fungi.
In gastronomy, they are valued for having a fleshy texture and a deep taste that intensifies the flavor of the dishes. They are very useful and versatile in the kitchen. In addition, it is a light and nutritious ingredient. In creams, broths, accompanying legumes, or meat stews; any way of eating them is exceptional.
The breaded mushroom recipe is suitable for all levels of culinary experience, as its difficulty is very low. With good raw material and the right breading, the result is a creamy interior and a crunchy exterior.
Ingredients needed to make the breaded mushrooms
- 2 eggs
- 100 grams of breadcrumbs.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Mushrooms: the type and quantity of mushrooms chosen may vary depending on whether they are prepared for an aperitif, a side or a starter. It will also depend on the size of them.
Step by step to cook breaded mushrooms
This dish is one of the easiest and fastest to prepare. It takes about 5 minutes to get everything ready and about 10 more minutes to cook. Let’s go step by step:
- To start with the recipe it is better to prepare everything you need. Place a plate with the beaten egg, another with the breadcrumbs on the side, and an empty dish where to place the mushrooms.
- Then remove the soil, wash and dry the mushrooms well. They can be left whole or cut into smaller pieces, according to the taste of each one. It is preferable to clean them just before cooking, otherwise, changes in their color may appear.
- Pass the mushrooms in the beaten egg, then in the breadcrumbs (making sure they are well covered over the entire surface), and place on the free tray.
- While breading, put a pan with olive oil over medium heat. In this way, it acquires the perfect temperature to start frying.
- Add one at a time to the pan and in small batches to prevent the oil from cooling. Cook until they get a toasted color on both sides, being careful not to burn the breadcrumbs.
- Let drain on absorbent paper.
- Accompany with the chosen sauces. One of those that offer the best combination of flavors is aioli.
This is a dish that should be prepared and served just before eating to fully enjoy the flavor and texture of breaded mushrooms. In principle, it does not have to be an impediment, since they cook quite easily and quickly.
Mushrooms are a highly appreciated food in gastronomy and have true fans. All of them are low in fat and calories, provide fiber and other nutrients (B vitamins, selenium, phosphorus, and potassium).
But its interest extends beyond the nutritional, due to the presence of other substances, such as polyphenols, carotenes, polysaccharides, and indoles. For these reasons, it is very interesting to introduce them into the daily diet and consume them often, along with a good variety of vegetables.
Positive for the gut microbiota
The polysaccharides found in mushrooms serve as food for intestinal bacteria and exert a prebiotic effect. In recent years, microbiota has been the object of study and has been related to several benefits.
Protection against oxidative stress
Oxidation processes are necessary for the body, but free radicals are generated which, in excess, are involved in the appearance of various diseases. Some of them are autoimmune disorders, cancer, premature aging, and cardiovascular and neurodegenerative problems.
In most mushrooms, there are several components (selenium and phenolic compounds) with an antioxidant capacity that allows neutralizing these damages.
Beta-glucans are natural compounds that can be part of the diet when they come from foods such as mushrooms, oats, or yeast. They can also be taken in the form of supplements and are considered safe.
These have multiple benefits in the body that have been observed in animal and human trials. Among others, they lower blood cholesterol, increase cardiovascular protection, reduce the risk of osteoporosis and stimulate the immune system.
Mushrooms and fungi
Mushrooms have antioxidants, beta-glucans for the microbiota, and fiber to treat constipation.
Insoluble fiber source
Dietary fiber is essential for optimal body function and good health. Among its main contributors are legumes, fruit, whole grains, vegetables, and also mushrooms.
The substance has the ability to increase the volume of stool and promote its passage through the intestinal tract. This is why it is of interest to people with constipation problems.
Likewise, diets with a significant presence of this component have been linked to greater control of body weight and a reduction in the risk of diabetes and heart disease.